Revolut Standard is the most popular debit card for travelers which also simplify payments between friends.
Revolut: free Visa card
The Revolut Standard card is a free card with the main features offered by the British Fintech giant for all its cards. This means of payment allows you to pay anywhere in the world without any fees with your physical or virtual card (via Google Pay or Apple Pay). No fees on the payment, and no fees on the exchange rate (on more than 150 currencies) since Revolut is aligned with the interbank exchange rate. Among the useful features, Revolut allows you to block your card in one click on the mobile application (in case you forget it in a cab, for example) and to report the loss or theft of your card just as quickly. The mobile application also allows users to manage their budget: they are alerted when they exceed their monthly budget. In the same way, Revolut allows you to save money automatically thanks to rounding up (example: you pay your coffee 2€ instead of 1,80€ to save 20 cents in your kitty). Money transfers are also free to all banks. Moreover, Revolut users will be able to send money to each other without having to add a RIB beforehand. All they have to do is connect their Revolut app to their phone contacts.
- Card is 100% free. No subscription or usage fees (payments or account maintenance). Free shipping when ordering your card from Spendways.
- No fees on foreign expenses and foreign currency payments
- Account creation in 8 minutes with your phone
- No income requirements
- Interbank exchange rate (Visa or Mastercard at no extra cost)
- Real-time notifications and expenses on the Android or Apple mobile application
- Personal budget management and automatic savings functionality (kitty)
- Easy and immediate transfer between Revolut users
- Free instant SEPA transfers to all compatible banks (new in August 2020)
Revolut mobile application lets you manage your stock investments
Points to consider
- Lithuanian IBAN (LT…)
- No check issuing or cashing possible. Revolut offers no checkbook, no cashier’s check, and no check cashing facility.
- Cash deposit not possible.
- No physical branch.
- 200€ free withdrawals/month at the ATM of your choice then 2%/withdrawal
- No authorized overdraft
- No joint account
- No insurance with the free card
- Card shipping costs €4.99 (offered through Spendways)
Is the Revolut card right for you?
The free Revolut bank card is a great addition to your current bank account without replacing it entirely. It will allow you to manage your daily expenses much more easily thanks to the absence of fees and the very well designed mobile application. You’ll also appreciate being able to receive and send money to a friend or family member if they also have a Revolut account. You’ll also appreciate it when traveling abroad, as you’ll benefit from accurate exchange rates and no fees on payments and withdrawals. On the other hand, the Lithuanian IBAN is still a hindrance in everyday life. For example, your employer may be reluctant to pay your salary to a foreign account even though he is obliged to do so. In any case, this card is 100% free of charge, so you don’t take any risk by offering this card at the forefront of modern payment methods.
Frequently asked questions
I have a standard Revolut Mastercard. Is it possible to take a Revolut Visa Standard card as well? Revolut only offers Visa cards for the standard version. You can indeed order a new card (virtual or physical) which will be a Visa card. The creation of a new card is free of charge, but the sending of a new physical card is charged at 5,99€ (standard delivery) or 19,99€ (express delivery).